Since children spend a large part of their lives in a school environment, student health and safety is an important issue to the community and the Chelan-Douglas School Health and Safety Program. To promote school health and safety, the Chelan-Douglas Health District:
- Reviews new and remodeled school site plans
- Educates school staff about health and safety issues
- Conducts inspections
- Investigates reports of illness and safety hazards
The school program is staffed by two inspectors who also work in other environmental health programs. A fee for service is charged for activities such as inspections, reinspections, and construction activities. There is no charge for complaint response, illness investigation, or consultation.
For more information about the Public School Health and Safety Program, call (509) 886-6400.
School Plan Review Process
- Noise Study: Schools need to provide a noise study conducted by an acoustical engineer. See WAC 246-366-110 for additional information
- Site Approval: Site approval for new schools and remodels/additions is required.
- Plans: Schools need to provide one full set of full-size drawings for the entire facility, including a site plan and vicinity map.
- Specifications Manual: Schools need to provide one full set of project specifications.
Schools with a swimming pool or hot tub must have their water recreation facility construction plans reviewed by the Washington State Department of Health Water Recreation Program. Schools with a school kitchen, student store, concession stand or coffee shop must submit a Plan and Menu Review Application.
The Health District will send a bill to the applicant (the school) after the plan review and or inspections have been completed. The Health District charges $91 per hour of work.
Other Informational Links
Report A Concern
Please fill out our online complaint form to report a concern about a public school in Chelan or Douglas County.