Illustration of woman blending fruits

Food Safety Program

Permanent Food Establishments

Opening A Food Establishment

Are you planning to open a new food establishment? Please review the pamphlet: Opening a New Food Establishment to help guide you through the plan review process, pre-opening inspection, and continued operation of your new food establishment.

Plan And Menu Review

A Plan and Menu Review is required before

  1. Construction of a food establishment
  2. Conversion of an existing structure for use as a food establishment
  3. Remodeling of a food establishment

The entire process can be found in the Plan and Menu Review Process.  A Plan and Menu Review Application is required to be completed in full and submitted with payment to the Chelan-Douglas Health District.  Partially completed Plan and Menu Review Applications will not be accepted or reviewed.

Permit Application

The Food Establishment Permit Application is an annual permit that must be completed and returned:

  • Prior to opening a new food establishment
  • When a food establishment has changed ownership
  • The annual permit renewal application must be submitted when the permit is renewed

Permit Fees

Type of Menu
Description – 2023 Fees
Plan & Menu Review Fee
Permit Fee
Pre-packaged food only, or a Bed & Breakfast answering “yes” to all five questions on Part XI.D. Tasting Rooms.
Menu does not include cooling of potentially hazardous food (except for espresso, pies, nacho cheese), preparation of raw ingredients or handling of ready-to-eat foods except for the cutting of pasteurized cheeses. This category includes grocery stores with specialty departments limited to low risk operations such as meat, fish and bakery departments, and school food program sites limited to serving only.
Menu is more complex than the “simple” category; seating is not provided for more than 100 diners. Includes grocery stores with not more than one higher risk specialty department (produce, delicatessen, specialty restaurant, snack bar, beverage stand); and school kitchens that prepare food for service on-site only.
Complex menu with seating for more than 100 diners; a grocery store with two higher risk specialty departments; a school kitchen sending food to other schools.

Permit Fees

Note: Permit fees will be prorated if operation begins after April 30th.

Food Safety

Temporary Food Events


Application For Temporary Food Establishment

A Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application is needed for food establishments that operate at a fixed location in conjunction with a single event or celebration. A higher fee is charged if the application and payment is received less than eight business days prior to the event (includes the day the payment is received, excludes day of event). Temporary Food Applications will only be accepted until Wednesday, of the week prior to the event. No money will be collected at the event (unpermitted establishments will be closed). Incomplete applications will be returned.

Review the Temporary Food Establishments and Concessionaires’ Information Pamphlet for important information about operating requirements, food safety, handwashing stations, and low/high risk foods.

Application For Exemption

You may apply for an Exemption from Permit if you will only be serving the following foods:

  • Popcorn (including kettle corn)
  • Cotton candy
  • Dried herbs and spices (if processed in an approved facility)
  • Machine-crushed ice drinks (if made with nonpotentially hazardous ingredients and ice from an approved source, excludes snow cones)
  • Corn on the cob (if roasted for immediate service)
  • Whole roasted peppers (if roasted for immediate service)
  • Roasted nuts and peanuts (including candy-coated)
  • Chocolate-dipped ice cream bars (if made with commercially packaged ice cream bars)
  • Chocolate-dipped bananas (if made with peeled and frozen in an approved facility)
  • Sliced fruits and vegetables for sampling (if used for individual samples of nonpotentially hazardous produce)

Coordinator Checklist

As an event coordinator, it is your responsibility to submit a Temporary Food Event-Coordinator’s Checklist.  By providing the information, you will assist in identifying potential health problems.  In addition, each vendor is responsible for submitting a Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application.  If you need to add a vendor or make any changes prior to the event please inform the Chelan-Douglas Health District (link to contact us).

Multiple Location Application

The Multiple Location Application is for current recurring permit holders that want to operate at additional recurring temporary sites no more than three days per week, limited to one booth at a time, at a fixed location, with a fixed pre-approved menu, in conjunction with an approved, recurring, organized event, such as a farmers’ market.

Farmer’s Markets

While individuals may sell unprocessed fruits, vegetables, berries, or any other farm produce without a permit from the Health District, individuals or groups selling or serving food at Farmers’ Markets may need a Health District Temporary Food Establishment Permit.  Health District recurring permits are valid through the Farmers’ Market season, including the spring/summer and winter markets.  The Farmer’s Market Informational Handout outlines the permitting requirements for food commonly sold at farmers’ markets.  We know the rules are sometimes complicated and confusing, so please feel free to contact us (link to program staff above) if you have additional questions.

Foods Commonly Sold At Farmers’ Markets:

  • Fresh Juices & Apple Cider
  • Baked Goods
  • Coffee & Coffee Beans
  • Espresso
  • Eggs
  • Fish
  • Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
  • Guest Chefs
  • Herbs
  • Honey
  • Jams & Jellies
  • Meat
  • Milk & Dairy Products
  • Mushrooms
  • Nuts
  • Poultry
  • Prepared Foods & Food Service
  • Processed Foods
  • Tea
  • Wine, Beer, Hard Cider

Fresh Salmon

If you would like to sell fresh salmon or crab, please review the Health District Guidelines for Sale of Fresh Salmon/Crab.

Apple Cider

If you would like to sell apple cider, please review the Health District Apple Cider Pressing Guidelines for Retail Sale.

Mobile Units

Mobile Food Units (ie. Food Trucks) are defined as readily movable food service establishments.  A Permanent Food Establishment Plan and Menu Application, Permit Application, and applicable fees are required for Mobile Units. Section 10 of the Food Establishment Plan and Menu Review Process specifically addresses Mobile Unit permitting.

A servicing area, commissary, and toilet facilities for food workers will be required components of the Plan and Menu Review Application.  A servicing area is used to service, clean, sanitize, supply and maintain the mobile unit. A commissary is an approved food establishment which provides for storage, preparation, portioning, or packaging of food for service elsewhere.  If you are not the owner of the servicing area, commissary, or toilet facilities, you will need a written agreement/lease with the owner.

Food Safety Information

Signs from DOH

Program Staff


Erika Betancourt – Environmental Health Specialist I

  • (509) 886-6460 I
  • Inspector for: Wenatchee South of Palouse Street, Malaga, Squilchuck, Leavenworth and Leavenworth City Limits and Area, Dryden, Peshastin, and Blewett Pass Area.
  • Schools Program Questions

Lisa O’Daffer – Environmental Health Specialist II

Program Coordinator | Environmental Health Specialist III

  • (509) 886-6464 I
  • Wenatchee Palouse Street to 5th Street, Plain, Lake Wenatchee, Rock Island, Douglas County South of Rock Island, Olds Station Area, Stehekin, Entiat, and Entiat River Valley  

Kesha Wells - Environmental Health Specialist I

Stay Informed

Get the latest public health news, updates, and resources from Chelan-Douglas Health District, monthly in your inbox.

Monthly Newsletters

View More Newsletters

Stay Informed

Get the latest public health news, updates, and resources from Chelan-Douglas Health District, monthly in your inbox.

Monthly Newsletters

View More Newsletters