Solid Waste

Solid Waste

The Chelan-Douglas Health District Solid Waste program works to prevent the spread of illness through proper disposal of garbage, compost, recyclables, and other solid waste products from everyday life.  Solid waste facilities in Chelan and Douglas Counties are licensed annually and periodically inspected by Environmental Health staff.  Solid waste facilities include landfills, transfer stations, drop boxes, and compost facilities. Fees are assessed, based on the type of facility and/or solid waste activity.  Environmental Health Solid Waste staff also respond to complaints from the public concerning improper disposal of solid waste. For more information contact us online or call 509-886-6404.

Residential Sharps Disposal Locations

The following places will take residential sharps only.  They will not accept sharps from businesses such as medical or dental clinics.  All sharps must be in safe, acceptable containers with tight fitting lids. Plastic bags and pop bottles are not acceptable. These facilities may refuse to accept improperly contained sharps. Loose sharps are not acceptable. Times and days may change and facilities may be closed for holidays or other reasons. Please call ahead.

Bridgeport Residents

Community Recycling Center; 1007 Fairview Ave. Bridgeport

Open 1st and 3rd Saturdays, 9:00 am – 11:00 am and 1st and 3rd Thursdays, 10:00 am – noon, of each month.

For information, call City Hall 686-4041.

East Wenatchee Area

City of East Wenatchee; 271 9th St. East Wenatchee

Open Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, excluding holidays. Check in with the front desk.

For information, call the City at 884-9515.

Mansfield Residents

Community Recycling Center; Railroad Ave., Mansfield

Open 2nd and 4th Wednesdays and 2nd Saturday of each month, 9:00 am – noon.

For information, call Town Hall at 683-1112.

Rock Island Residents

Community Recycling Center; 23 S. Garden Ave.

Open Monday – Thursday, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm and Friday, 8:00 am – 2:00 pm.

For information, call City Hall 884-1261.

Waterville Residents

Community Recycling Center; 720 N. Chelan Ave.

Open Tuesday and Saturday, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

For information, call Town Hall at 745-8871.

Greater Wenatchee, Chelan, And Douglas County Area

South Wenatchee Transfer Station; 1421 S. Wenatchee Ave., Wenatchee

Open Tuesday – Saturday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Check in at the office window.

For information, call 662-8885.

Chelan County Solid Waste Department509-667-6415

Douglas County Solid Waste Department(509) 886-0899

Solid Waste Permit Application Process

Environmental Health staff reviews all new, modification, and renewal solid waste permits. However, Chelan-Douglas Health District uses Washington Department of Ecology applications.

Solid Waste Permit Application (New Project)

Application for Modification of Solid Waste Handling Permit

Renewal Application for a Solid Waste Permit

Complete the appropriate form and submit to our office via email to  Please contact Brian Dickey at 509-886-6418 or for details.


Confused about recycling?  Ask the Waste Wizard!  Sustainable NCW has developed the Waste Wizard so you can search for anything you are looking to recycle, donate or properly dispose of!


Have a solid waste complaint?  Please fill out our online Report a Complaint form or call (509) 886-6400.

Stay Informed

Get the latest public health news, updates, and resources from Chelan-Douglas Health District, monthly in your inbox.

Monthly Newsletters

View More Newsletters