The Children with Special Health Care Needs program assists parents that have children with special needs through home or office visits. A public health nurse or Community Health Worker/Promotora assists parents that have children with special needs, birth to 18 years old, access health care and any other support services the family may need.
The program promotes an integrated system of services for infants, children and youth up to age 18 years who have or are at risk for chronic physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional conditions and require health and related services of a type or amount beyond what is generally needed. The program supports families with resources and linkages to community services including family support, care coordination, and health information.
This a FREE service for infants, children and youth ages Birth up to 18 years who are diagnosed with a complex health condition or are at risk for chronic physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional conditions that require health and related services of a type or amount beyond what is generally needed.
Parents, doctor offices, hospitals, and community organizations can make referrals by filling out the referral form and submitting it
By fax: 509.886.6478
Reasons for CSHCN Public Health Nurse Referrals – The child has complex health needs and the family needs assistance with:
- Finding or coordinating medical or behavioral health providers
- Accessing local resources and/or services for their child
- Finding financial assistance for their child’s health-related needs
- Understanding and/or coping with child’s health condition
- Home visiting by a Public Health Nurse to provide family support.
- Care Coordination between all of your child’s medical providers.
- Health Education to better understand your child’s development, feeding, nutrition, growth and behavior.
- Resource Referral to development services, insurance programs or parent support organizations.
To make an appointment contact the CSHCN staff by
Calling: (509) 886-6400
Office Hours: Mon –Thurs 8AM–5PM
Answers For Special Kids (ASK) Line
The Children with Special Health Care Needs Program supports the ASK Line, a toll- free information service (1-800-322-2588 or 1-800-883-6388/TTY), which is a part of the Family Health Hotline at WithinReach. ASK Line Information and Referral Specialists provide local and state resource information on health care coverage, specialty services, recreational opportunities and more to families of children with special health care needs in Washington State.